Saturday, May 3, 2014

There's No Elevator at the Great Wall

I did it! Climbed the Great Wall of China! I can officially mark one wonder of the world off my bucket list. Now, I should probably tell you that the Wall is 5,500 miles long, and then knowing me as you do you will realize that I didn't make it that far. Nevertheless I'm more than proud of myself. 

The part we visited and climbed began with a steep set up steps laying straight up the mountain. Then there was a stone shelter of sorts with small arched windows and delicious breezes. It was crowded, but it had a landing and roof access. Then another section of steps followed, also uphill but less vertical, and another shelter. We counted each shelter house as 1 and I traveled up to 5. From the bottom to 1 was the most daunting. It was straight up and the altitude made me feel like my heart and lungs might not make it up all the way with me. Once I reached that pinnacle of that shelter, though, I realized the next part up to shelter 2 wasn't so steep and terrible. So I rested and continued on. 5 was almost at the crest of the peak. There may have been another one past it before things leveled off and went mildly downhill. We were almost at our allotted time so I began the climb down. 

There were people everywhere- still due to the holiday. There were older people and little kids all climbing, some more quickly than me! I saw ladies in high heels and dresses, but it was at least faster than they were. 

After the wall we ate lunch (again yum) and toured a jade factory. It was very tempting and expensive! We drove past the Birdcage Olympic Stadium- truly massive- and then to the hotel for an hour free time and the. To a local acrobatic show. Mom and I had dinner at the mall at a Pizza Hut. I wasn't brave enough to try the pork knuckle pizza, so I just stuck with pepperoni. Somehow they thought I ordered garden veggie, so just a slight mixup in the kitchen, easily remedied. *smile*. 










No comments:

Post a Comment