Wednesday, April 30, 2014

People-gazing

12:20 pm ET And so the waiting game of airline travel is underway! We begin by remembering that our travel agent told us the flight out of Lexington was only on time 30% of the time. We have a considerable layover in Chicago, so this was meant to reassure us that we wouldn't be in Chicago as long as it appeared on paper. And this prediction will hold true. So far we are 37 minutes delayed. 

It's been so long since I've flown for pleasure. Usually I'm rushed and wanting to get on the plane pronto to arrive at a business meeting. I would get out and push the plane with my bare hands if it would get us moving more quickly. Now we have time to people-gaze without the stress of a rushed connection. Mom said "watching all these other people makes me feel better about myself." It's good to have a companion who can make you smile. 

This may be a wandering blog. I'll save for now and post more in Chicago. 

2:30 pm CT We are in Chicago and this is a big airport! I have only been in and out of Midway before, so O'Hare is quite impressive. We are sitting on a bench next to the Children's Museum playground taking a break. We had a lovely lunch and then a nice walk to explore all the shops and have now ended up at the playground. I'll tell you, this traveling makes me ready for a nap, but I know I have to prop toothpicks in my eyes to stay awake for once we get to the big time difference. 

5:30 pm CT We are still chilling at the airport in Chicago. We have met another family that is in our travel group who will be on the same flight so now we are busy chattering about our kids(!!). Starbucks makes the time go quicker. 

6:30 pm CT De plane, de plane! It's here and it's a whopper- a 777. They're loading it up with all kinds of goodies for meal service. They called us up to the desk to check that our visas are in order. We are getting really close to boarding time so I will go ahead and close this. 

It's been cloudy and chill our entire time in Chicago, but now the sun is shining brightly in the window. It's encouraging and helps quell the butterflies. All my peeps back home, cheer on the Reds for me tonight (over the Cubs). The next post should be from Beijing!! 

3 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your mom is as pretty as you, girl! praying without ceasing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! Praying for safe travels.

    ReplyDelete